Subject: Re: spamd (was Re: CVS commit: src/etc)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/12/2005 10:09:45
* Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> [0417 06:17]:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Dick Davies wrote:
>
> >Nobody suggests moving sshd_config because there's one in pkgsrc -
> >spamassassin config lives in /usr/pkg/etc/spammassassin anyway.
>
> I'm sorry, but you can't say that "nobody" has problems with this sort
> of thing, because I do. I'm *very* strongly in favour of having our
> default package build configurations use /etc, not /usr/pkg/etc, and I
> have argued this for years.

Then presumably you're in the minority, and I can see why. But that's a
matter of taste. You'd end up with /etc/spamassassin in that case.

My point was that I don't understand why you should mess with the base
install - which affects everybody - for the sake of a package that not
everybody uses?

If you want to avoid naming confliicts, I'd say it would have been saner
to call spamassassin sa-spamd a la FreeBSD, and just stick something in
mail/spamassassin/MESSAGE advising of the potential name conflict.

Then all affected users get warned without renaming a core app.

--
'You were doing well until everyone died'
		-- God