Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/etc
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/07/2005 10:58:07
--Z/kiM2A+9acXa48/

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 02:54:06AM +0200, Jachym Holecek wrote:
  | > Generally, yes, although we'd need to consider any deviations away
  | > from our new general policy of
  | > 	``namespace protecting per service user (and group) names
  | > 	with a leading `_' to prevent nameclashes with user accounts
  | > 	on end user systems.''
  |=20
  | Just curious:
  |=20
  | - Do such clashes occur really often enough to require special policy?

At least one user reported there being a problem with a `squid' user
in the past.  I know of a couple of people (including myself) who
had a conflict when NetBSD added a `named' and `ntpd' user.

  | - Is leading underscore in login name guaranteed to not clash with exis=
ting
  |   account names on end systems? Perhaps one of the characters discourag=
ed
  |   by passwd.conf(5) would be a better candidate?

No, but it's good prior art from FreeBSD/OpenBSD.
At least, in my 15 years involved in system administration across
a diverse range of sites I've never seen the practice before.

  | - Will this policy extend to system users and groups added via Pkgsrc?

That for tech-pkg to consider, but I would suggest that 'yes' is the
answer.

--Z/kiM2A+9acXa48/

--Z/kiM2A+9acXa48/--