Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/etc
To: Christopher W. Richardson <cwr@nexthop.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/07/2005 00:37:57
At 17:23 Uhr -0400 6.4.2005, Christopher W. Richardson wrote:
>Though there were several people who expressed this same opinion,
>I think the consensus (in a IETF-esque "rough consensus" sense
>... not exactly enthusiasm and certainly not unanimity) was to
>use the _-prefix for new system accounts, but not to change the
>existing ones.

I remember the discussion, but not a consensus.

Anyway, repeating what I wrote in September...

<quote>
I feel it is either change _pflogd to pflogd and stay in line with NetBSD
(and general Unix) tradition, or move all the system users to a separate
namespace.

Just introducing this _pflogd user seems like a random move. A year from
now, somebody else will come up with yet another {new,improved,different}
approach, leaving a linuxy hotchpotch.
</quote>

	hauke

--