Subject: Re: alternates framework question
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org, tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/21/2005 12:07:10
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> I'm not sure that is allways reasonable.  For example.. if I lose all
> sanity and want to replace our 'ls' with linux happy colorls, will
> there be a syspkg for just 'ls'?

It'e easy to make syspkgs with as fine granularity as you like.  (It's
not much more work then editing files in src/sistrib/sets/lists/*.)  At
present, /bin/ls in in base-util-root, /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1 is in
man-util-man, and /usr/share/man/cat1/ls.0 is in man-util-catman.  If
many people wanted to replace ls with some other implementation, then
it would be easy to create base-ls-root, man-ls-man, and man-ls-catman
syspkgs.

(Above is all subject to "one day when syspkgs work" disclaimer.
Creating the syspkgs is possible today via the patches in PR 22514, but
actually using them requires changes to pkg_add.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)