Subject: Re: alternates framework question
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/2005 15:28:56
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > Can the "alternates" (alternatives?) framework be used to replace system
> > components, e.g. so that "lp" really comes from the cups pkg (when
> > installed) instead of /usr/bin/lp? If so, how?
>
> Nope.  That'd be neat, but to achieve that, pkg_alternatives should be
> part of the base system, providing links for lp.  In that case, it could
> even replace mailwrapper...

Why not make it so? (serious!)

Smells like we could solve a number of problems that way.
(Thinking of ssh upgrades, that ftpd fix some time ago which was
recommended to be done via pkgsrc, cups/lp, lprng, openssl, ...).

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)