Subject: Re: ctype "(int)" casting (Re: pkg_select upgrade)
To: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/17/2005 09:03:27
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:51:14AM +0100, Martin S. Weber wrote:
>   Software compiles flawlessly on some systems, on others it coughs out
>   a huge number of warnings someone uninformed might blame on the system.
>   How do you (you = who made/was for making is* & to* more 'chatty') advocate
>   this removal while (1) facing language standards and (2) in the light
>   of NetBSD getting all the blame?

It is good to catch as much errors as possible automatically.

This is the same as libpthread shooting applications that do the
wrong thing. We've been through a lot of pain and NetBSD got quite
some blame for it, but it caught real bugs all over the place in
applications that were said to be running flawlessly (which of course is
a myth) on other OSes.

Martin