Subject: Re: Increasing the number of inodes in the ramdisk images
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/2005 00:08:39
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:30:25PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <06b684be1319f4b3f83429f34039f3ec@shagadelic.org>,
> Jason Thorpe  <thorpej@shagadelic.org> wrote:
> >
> >On Mar 15, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Juan RP wrote:
> >

> >> Hi, to install NetBSD/Xen in domUs via CDROM or unmounted FS in the
> >> sysinst
> >> menu, the number of inodes has to be increased, currently it's 896,
> >> I want to increase it to 1024 to create the xbd1* devices in the
> >> ramdisk.
> >>
> >> (I want to commit this patch).
> >
> >I think this is OK, but I want a sanity check from whoever picked 896
> >(Christos?)
>
> It was the minimum size that would fit. I guess it does not fit anymore,
> so let's raise it.

IIRC you will need to increase the size of the ramdisk as well.
For most i386 systems there isn't a problem with memory size, but the
install kernel will still run in 16MB (but not 12), and install-tiny
in something quite a lot smaller.

Now that newfs will let you specify a number of inodes (instead of
relying on a %) each inode does just cost 128bytes of kernel memory....

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk