Subject: editline/gdb problem with 2.0
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/03/2005 22:22:26
Under past NetBSD versions, "echo edit off > ~/.editrc" was enough to
turn off all the editline stuff in gdb - and in particular, with that
in place, typing an EOF exits.  (Without that, it demands a ^D, whether
or not that is the current EOF character - rather severely broken.)

Under 2.0, I find that after doing that, ^Z simply echoes as
^-Z-backspace-backspace (or functional equivalent) and does nothing.
^D echos as ^-D and does nothing.  I have to "quit" to exit gdb.  (With
or without ~/.editrc in place, I can suspend gdb by typing my suspend
character, which is ^P.)

What's broken here (well, besides the default of imposing EOF=^D
regardless of the EOF character setting, when editline is on), and what
do I have to set so that typing my EOF character produces an EOF-style
exit?  Apparently turning editline off in ~/.editrc is no longer
enough, though gdb must still be using editline because having it in
place does change gdb's behaviour.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign