Subject: Re: LDAP NSS for NetBSD
To: Timshel Knoll-Miller <timshel@shels.net>
From: Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/23/2005 02:49:35
On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:29:09PM +1100, Timshel Knoll-Miller wrote:
> Porting shouldn't really be too difficult, but neither should a
> re-implementation. While I'm at it, I'm considering adding backend
> databases for services and protocols (get{serv,proto}by*),  and
> reentrant versions of getpwent and friends, which don't seem to have
> been implemented yet (only the get*nam() have?).

I have a switchable protocols, rpc and services completed.  I just
haven't had time to get them committed.  Plus, I've been waiting
on some feedback (hi Luke!)...  I also need to rework them towards
the new framework...

I also have reentrant versions of the same following the IRIX/Solaris
APIs.   But as Luke pointed out there aren't any formal standards
for the reentrant versions.  The GNU folks did things differently.
The GNU API is patterned after the POSIX standardized getpwnam_r()
and getpwuid_r().  This is not what is used by either IRIX or
Solaris.  Tru64 used yet another API which is what Christos started
adding to NetBSD sometime ago.  He stopped after I pointed out that
even Compaq (HP) considers their API obsolete.

> Has anyone else done any work on this stuff? I'm interested to hear what
> people think of it, and any advice or ideas regarding the implementation
> of the ldap backend. Also, as I'm new to coding NetBSD any advice or
> pointers to development documents would be appreciated.

Brian