Subject: Re: autoconf and m4 on netbsd-i386
To: None <kamalp@acm.org>
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/04/2005 13:42:39
"Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@yahoo.com> writes:

> No -the existing gcc-3.3.3 is good enough for me. I
> just need to add a backend to generate object code for
> the ADSP 533 processor. I mean, every cpu type has a
> module for it in gcc/config -but the version of gcc is
> not much of an issue.

It is perhaps worth noting that gcc 3.3.3 did not use autoconf in the
top level directory.  The configure script there is actually the old
Cygnus configure script.  Running autoconf there would be a mistake.

The top level directory was not converted to autoconf until the 3.4
release.

The way to tell is to look at the first few lines of configure, for a
line like
    # Generated automatically using autoconf version XXXX

Ian