Subject: de-__Ping /usr/include
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/02/2005 17:11:20
I'm about to de-__P /usr/include. I've talked to a number of people
and the general consensus is that there is no longer any point in
maintaining it. We were originally keeping it around largely so that
NetBSD could be compiled on pre-ANSI compilers for bootstrap purposes
during porting, but NetBSD has long since been switching to ANSI and
will no longer compile on such a compiler anyway. Also, we now have a
cross build infrastructure.

To dispel one misconception in advance, this does not make it harder
to compile old K&R code -- it can still be compiled just fine under
any ANSI compiler such as the one we ship (gcc).

FYI, FreeBSD seems to have long since de-__P'ed /usr/include as well.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com