Subject: Re: static vs. dynamic runtime linking, again (was: PAM and su -K)
To: Ian Lance Taylor , James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/31/2005 20:20:53
On Jun 17,  9:10am, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
} James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org> writes:
}
} > >      BTW, if you really want to talk about brokenness consider GCC
} > > silently linking in extra libraries (i.e. libgcc_s.so) and not issuing
} > > the appropriate rpath option.  Now that's broken!
} >
} > This is why on solaris I patch gcc to at least push -R lines to the linker
} > for this as well. Now, why the GCC maintainers insist the broken behavior
} > is "correct" is beyond me...
}
} Because it is correct.
}
} The SunOS linker, which is what the SVR4 ELF linker is based on, had
} no -R option.  Every -L option effectively became a -R option--that

     There is a compile time option to tell gcc that you are using GNU
ld, so this is a very poor excuse.  Also, the manpage for the Solaris 8
version of ld does list -R as an option.  The part about -L doesn't say
anything about the runtime search path.  I just checked and the manpage
for Solaris 2.5 says the same thing.

}-- End of excerpt from Ian Lance Taylor