Subject: Re: static vs. dynamic runtime linking, and silly 'ld -L' breakage
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/30/2005 14:41:56
[Thus spake Ian Lance Taylor ("ILT: ") Friday...]

ILT: Yes, I think /etc/ld.so.cache is a reasonable solution.  Defaulting -R
ILT: to -L is not, for reasons I already discussed.

I would have thought that *defaulting* -R to -L would have been perfectly
reasonable for most cases; indeed, if you expect your link-time environment
to differ from your runtime environment, you should have to say so.

But that's just me, I guess.

ILT: I gave a reason earlier in this thread.  Defaulting -R to -L can be a
ILT: serious problem in an environment which uses NFS heavily.  This was a
ILT: real problem for me on SunOS4 (which did not have -R at all).

...and probably should have.

In addition, we should probably have something akin to objedit or
whatever that linker utility was called that could modify such attributes
in the ELF header -- or was that a utility for COFF?

				--*greywolf;
--
"We have discovered a bug in System V: the OS itself."