Subject: Re: -r option for groupadd
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/30/2005 14:25:07
On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 14:12 +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > Any objections in adding this?
>
> SuSE Linux' groupadd seems to have a -r too:
>
>         -r     This  flag  instructs  groupadd  to  add  a  system
>                account.   The  first  available  gid  lower   than
>                GID_MAX  will  be automatically selected unless the
>                -g option is also given on the command line.

Hmm, just checked a FC2 and also includes it.  Furthermore, useradd
also provides -r:

       -r     This  flag  is used to create a system account. That is, a
user
              with  a  UID  lower  than  the  value  of  UID_MIN
defined  in
              /etc/login.defs  and  whose password does not expire. Note
that
              useradd will not create a home  directory  for  such  an
user,
              regardless of the default setting in /etc/login.defs.  You
have
              to specify -m option if you want a home directory for a
system
              account to be created.  This is an option added by Red
Hat.

which is kinda different from ours (and incompatible).

I don't think we can preserve compatibility here...

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/