Subject: Re: static vs. dynamic runtime linking, and silly 'ld -L' breakage
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/29/2005 12:58:20
--jyWdsH1tvGESd50Z

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:42:13PM +0200, Arto Huusko wrote:
[...]
> > compiled-in rpaths indeed 'just works'. That's why it's default
>=20
> It works as long as the libraries are installed somewhere in
> the compiled-in rpath. Once they are somewhere else, it no longer
> works at all.

True.  This is an issue for binary-only distributions.  The way all
the EDA tools keep fiddling with LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make thing
apparently "just work", but usually breaking everything as soon as
you start chaining a few of them (never the same glibc, never the
same pthread library, sometimes they provide their own libstdc++,
you do the math), is really annoying.

Sometimes I wish ELF would allow relative RPATHs and then you'd have
an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point the dynamic linker to the install
root of the binaries.

Of course I wish more I could have source distributions to be sure the
libraries the applications are linking to are actually the ones they
expect.

--=20

--jyWdsH1tvGESd50Z

--jyWdsH1tvGESd50Z--