Subject: Re: static vs. dynamic runtime linking, and silly 'ld -L' breakage
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/28/2005 15:43:20
> Yes, I think /etc/ld.so.cache is a reasonable solution.  Defaulting
> -R to -L is not, for reasons I already discussed.

Actually, how about a warning when either (a) the run-time path
includes a non-absolute component or (b) the run-time path is such that
executing the binary immediately would fail to find one or more
libraries?  With an option to shut the warning off, of course.

Assuming that, I'm not sure what I then think of defaulting -R to -L.
It's wrong for enough environments that I'm not sure I'd want to do it,
but it's right for enough others that I'm not sure I'd want not to.
Some kind of environment variable flag, maybe?

But the one thing that I really really think needs to be fixed is the
documentation.  I'd even volunteer to write it, given reasonable
grounds for thinking the result would actually get used.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign