Subject: Re: PAM and OpenSSH
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Love <lha@stacken.kth.se>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/26/2005 19:48:47
--=-=-=

Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

> Do they claim the direct krb5 support has a security problem, or is
> this just "progress"?   Having both supported in our version sounds
> like a good plan.

IMO kerberos 5 support as implemented my ssh.com or the openssh version
where both not very useful since they didn't bind the ssh connection to the
kerberos authentication, and thus opened up the user to tunneling
attack. Also there wasn't a mode specified for host authentication (ie a
SSH-KEX). Basicly Kerberos was used as a glorified OTP protocol.

gss-mech is real progress, however, in OpenSSH, the GSS-KEX was never
adopted. So we still have to deal with this "please enter yes" stupidness.

Love

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--