Subject: Re: static vs. dynamic runtime linking, again (was: PAM and su -K)
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2005 12:01:17
>>> The conclusion is that their authors should just forget
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH + /etc/ld.so.conf and repair their build frameworks.
>> And just what do you think I should do to "repair" my build
>> "framework" - which you, NetBSD, not I, broke?!
> Learn the system/read the manuals/learn the compiler options?
> They have changed somewhat since 1980....

This is singularly unhelpful advice.  As for "changed somewhat since
1980", I pretended to be a new user, someone used to using X elsewhere.
I went and read over the cc manpage (on the 2.0 system) as if I had
just tried to link with no special options, got the errors, found the
libraries, and was just wondering how to get the compiler to do what it
should have been doing automatically (search /usr/X11R6/lib too).

I found -L.  I found no hint that anything more was needed.  Based on
list mail, I searched the manpage for "-R" and for "rpath"; neither
produced any hits.

Now, as a naïve new user, *what am I supposed to do*!?

I have a simple little X program.  Maybe I got it from someone who
didn't make a NetBSD package out of it.  Maybe I wrote it myself.
Let's suppose I'm sufficiently convinced that NetBSD is Good to not
just turf it immediately on discovering that when I told it to install
X compilation support it set up a half-assed kind that I need to add
compiler options to use.  I find -I/usr/X11R6/include.  I find
-L/usr/X11R6/lib.  Now, how am I supposed to figure out what I need to
do to make the thing actually *run*?!

I think my hypothetical new-to-NetBSD user would most likely just scrap
the whole thing and install Linux or Solaris or something on which
building X programs just works right out of the box.

Or is NetBSD now not aiming at code developers, only at users who are
content to install nothing but pkgsrc packages?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign