Subject: Re: PAM and su -K
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2005 16:14:48
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 04:07:39PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> Our goals are to run as efficiently as possible on multiple platforms,
> last I looked.  What did I miss?  What is the problem with maintaining
> a statically linkable universe?  To my eyes, it's another pass on building
> the libraries so that most versions are present.  All I'm getting here is
> "Well, most modern machines are fast enough, so what does it matter?"

The problem with a static universe is that no "modular" framework like
citrus can work properly without knowing in advance which modules are
needed and compiling the necessary hacks in. This would be solved by
allowing dlopen from static applications and I'm pretty sure it can be
done within certain limits, but I didn't have time to do it yet, nor
seems anyone else having done it already.

Also keep in mind that for the intended use, the overhead of PIC is
very small or not existing, because the code itself is often called
via function pointers anyway. Just the DSO would be slower, if all.

Joerg