Subject: re: Pluged : USBd for NetBSD ?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/22/2005 17:21:18
 --- matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> wrote:

>    What is the system supposed to do if you remove the storage
> without
>    unmounting it? Just discard all buffered data (including metadata)
> and
>    return an error for future requests? I agree that it should panic
> in
>    this case, but really the user is asking for trouble if they do
> this.
>

> why should the kernel panic?  if the user does something stupid and
> they lose some data, that's their fault, but there's no reason to go
> panicking on them.  that's lazy.

Sorry, I meant to say "should NOT panic". My point was that even with
usbd you cannot expect to unplug things like disks without letting the
system know about it before hand. Since you have to do something before
hand to keep your data, usbd wouldn't help for unplugging devices, just
automatic configuration when you plug them back in (would help with
pcmcia or maybe even hot-plug PCI).