Subject: Re: PAM and su -K
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/20/2005 22:09:22
[Thus spake Jason Thorpe ("JT: ") 6:41pm...]

JT: On Jan 17, 2005, at 4:06 PM, Greywolf wrote:
JT:
JT: > While we're here, is there a way to configure the system in such a way
JT: > that one does not HAVE to use @#%*^ PAM?
JT:
JT: Once we have adapted all of the system utilities, PAM will become as
JT: optional as nsswitch (that is to say "not at all").

So PAM is going to force dynamic loading in the root utilities, thus
preventing one from building one's /bin and /sbin statically, and there
is nothing one can do to say "don't build with PAM because I do not want
it"?

*sigh*.  I guess the people who were convinced that PAM is not a win
weren't as convincING that PAM is not a win.  Pity.  I really fail to
see a universal gain from this.

				--*greywolf;
--
Been there.  Done that.  Bought the T-shirt.  Destroyed the planet.  Left.