Subject: Re: PAM and su -K
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/16/2005 09:35:09
--Apple-Mail-7-888173972

On Jan 16, 2005, at 2:44 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> I use -K or -l when I need to be root _quickly_ during Kerberos
> failures (less common than it used to be since I don't hack on
> Kerberos itself any more, but I used to have to do it quite a
> bit).  I would be annoyed if they disappeared.

So, does that mean we should have -Y (disable YP, in case there are NIS
problems) and -H (disable Hesiod, in case there are DNS problems) to
force su to access the local passwd database?

If there are catastrophic issues that render su useless, then you have
some alternatives:

1. Use your "operator" privs to shutdown the system into single-user
mode.

2. Keep a root shell open while you're doing whatever you're doing that
could break Kerberos (or whatever).

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>

--Apple-Mail-7-888173972
	name=PGP.sig