Subject: PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT and pthread mutex locking errors
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Tamas MEZEI <tamas@bazmag.hu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/11/2005 02:37:31
Hi,

I recently installed NetBSD 2.0 and compiled netramet-51b3 under it
(whoo it was a happy bugunting), and just knocked into some annoying
problems with error logs like

"NeTraMet: Error detected by libpthread: Invalid mutex.
Detected by file
"/big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c",
line 194, function "pthread_mutex_lock_slow".
See pthread(3) for information."

I was googling around a bit and found to set PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT to AEL
not to get any warnings.

Anyway, I'd like to get some info about these pthread mutex errors if
it's possible.
- Usually what causes them (what pthread_mutex functions)?
- How to eliminate such crappy stuff from the source code (tips and
hints are welcome, of course I know you can't fix any code blind)?
- Do these errors affect the overall performance, speed, stability
whatever-magic of my system? I would be sad if so.

Thanks,

Tamas