Subject: Weeding old PRs out from GNATS
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jesper Louis Andersen <jlouis@mongers.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/10/2005 00:53:19
I wondered what the best approach would be if I am going to look through
the PR database for bugs that could be closed. One fast look yesterday
showed that we have a lot of bugs ''hanging'' on the following scheme:

* Someone submits bug. Responsible party is foobar-bug-people
* Someone quickly builds a patch, patches the problem and asks for
  feedback.
* The bug is confirmed gone.
* Noone closes the bug.

I plan on identifying such ones and list them for closing.

It could also be fun to attack some of the bugs I would think. I need
brain teasers, hehe. So, what would be the best option once you have
solved a bug. Submitting a patch to the PR is option one, but to where
should I CC it? Appropriate mailing list, such that someone can review
and patch the kernel in question? (by appropriate mailing list I mean
tech-*).

Also, what is the view on old bugs hitting 1.5/1.6.x etc? If such a bug
is non-present in 2.0/-current, what is the correct stance to take?
Note to GNATS that that version solves the problem in question?

Of course, I intend to ask questions when I have something I do not
know the answer of.

Please help me out here getting started. I need something more
productive and morale-gaining than what I am doing now ;)

--
jlouis