Subject: Re: Weeding old PRs out from GNATS
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/09/2005 21:13:40
"Jesper Louis Andersen" <jlouis@mongers.org> writes:
> It could also be fun to attack some of the bugs I would think. I need
> brain teasers, hehe. So, what would be the best option once you have
> solved a bug. Submitting a patch to the PR is option one, but to where
> should I CC it? Appropriate mailing list, such that someone can review
> and patch the kernel in question? (by appropriate mailing list I mean
> tech-*).

You should probably get a person with commit access to act as a "bug
buddy" for you.

> Also, what is the view on old bugs hitting 1.5/1.6.x etc? If such a bug
> is non-present in 2.0/-current, what is the correct stance to take?

If it is in 1.5 but not 1.6, we probably should just close the PR as
1.5 is being EOLed. If it is in 1.6, in theory a person with commit
access could request a pullup to 1.6 of the revisions that fixed the
bug if they knew what those revisions were.

> Please help me out here getting started. I need something more
> productive and morale-gaining than what I am doing now ;)

I don't know that i can help you permanently, but you can try bugging
me for help for a little while. Ultimately it would be good to find
you someone with more time than I have, though. :)

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com