Subject: Re: Threading problems
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/24/2004 23:04:10
Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Thinking about this more, a better answer might be for <pthread.h> to
> #define pthread_mutex_lock(x) to __libc_mutex_lock(x), so that ~all
> code that is written to use locking routines from pthread.h will go
> through the libc redirection by default, instead of making them
> rewrite to mutex_lock()

Yes, this looks as a good solution - better than <threadlib.h>,
which would require explicit patches to all software. Second
necessary part is to change all packages so that no library is ever
explicitly linked against libpthread. This could even be quite
easily accomplishable by hacking libtool to filter -pthread on
final library link.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-