Subject: sshd vs X11
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/04/2004 15:18:44
I'm working with a remote box running 1.6.1.  I want ssh to do X
forwarding.

Trouble is, sshd thinks there's no xauth program, so it refuses X
forwarding, even though I have a ~/.ssh/rc file in place.  (There is an
xauth on the box, but it's not in /usr/whateveritis/... where sshd
presumably expects it; that's why I'm doing the ~/.ssh/rc thing.)
/etc/ssh/sshd_config has X11Forwarding set to yes (before this was done
it simply refused forwarding outright; now I get
Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward with spoofing.
and still no forwarding).

What's the appropriate bludgeon and where do I apply it to convince
sshd that I do in fact know what I'm doing, and it should do X
forwarding?  It seems arrogant to the point of being broken for sshd to
insist on an xauth it knows how to run even in the presence of
~/.ssh/rc.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign