Subject: Re: isxxx() and toupper() usage changes
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/2004 20:42:02
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:51:53PM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:
> >Fixes problems found by gcc when the splurious (int) cast is removed
> >from the #defines in ctype.h
>
> How about actually removing the (int) cast from ctype.h?

I've done that locally, and am fixing (some of) the fallout.
I'm not sure how much of pkgsrc will break if it is actually removed.

> I believe doing the cast is just wrong, because it only suppress
> warnings and doesn't fix real problem.

I agree, that cast isn't helpful at all!
mrg can't remember why he added it either.

With the warning level we compile (most of) NetBSD with, gcc objects
to source that calls the isxxx() #defines with a 'signed char'.
Unfortunately there is also code that contains an explicit (int) cast
that will be harder to track down.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk