Subject: Re: isxxx() and toupper() usage changes
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/2004 14:51:50
>> What you really want is somethign that has the same argument-passing
>> semantics as a prototyped function, it seems to me.

> Yes, they can be functions.  [...]
> I don't see how it helps, though.  If the system uses signed chars,
> and you call isprint with a signed char with the value 255, then it
> is going to get sign extended one way or another.

Well, I could nitpick, but yeah, I see what you mean.  About all that
argument passing gets you that a cast doesn't is errors for passing a
pointer or some such.  (I think I was imagining the function having an
unsigned char argument - I must have forgotten about the requirement
that EOF work and be distinct from all possible unsigned char values.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign