Subject: Re: Shrinking NetBSD - deep final distribution re-linker
To: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/20/2004 17:28:33
--dBMBt2YGaTHbdllf

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:58:50PM +0700, Ian Zagorskih wrote:
  | I.e. we want to put almost complete /bin subset into single crunched=20
  | executable.

See src/rescue/Makefile and src/rescue/list* .
It is a good example of how to reuse the existing build
infrastructure within NetBSD to do this.

That said, if I have a bit more space than the install media (e.g, I
can afford the kernel to be 3-4MB), I prefer to just copy the
standard dynamically linked apps into the "work" dir that we
makefs(8) into a file system to be injected into a kernel with
mdsetimage(8).

YMMV.

Cheers,
Luke.