Subject: Re: parallelization of rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2004 15:10:18
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:39:27AM +0400, Denis Lagno wrote:
> and finally [rc.d parallelization] is just right thing to do.  However I
> do not quite understand how to manage console output in order to not
> allow a mess..

You could print the output in columns, either disjoint columns:

Starting lpd.       Starting mopd.   Starting mrouted.
Starting powerd.    Starting ntpd.

or "staggered" columns (conserves horizontal space, wastes vertical space,
less intelligible).

Starting lpd.
        Starting mopd.
                Starting mrouted.
Starting powerd.
        Starting ntpd.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to implement this without using named
pipes (won't work on a ro filesystem).

Dave