Subject: Re: parallelization of rc.d
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/16/2004 11:43:11
[ On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 at 08:32:09 (+0100), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: parallelization of rc.d
>
>  	Not in the base, but pkgsrc/net/netatalk would be one. It can
>  	take a minute or so for the appletalk daemons to get their
>  	feathers sorted.

Well that is almost always very easy to fix in the specific scripts.

For example raidframeparity takes a damn long time to run sometimes too,
but it is started in the background and the system continues to boot
quickly (though whether that's a good and safe thing or not in this case
is debatable :-)

Generic parallelization of all of /etc/rc is definitely not necessary
and it would result in an extremely complex and error-prone system.
K.I.S.S and just make those things that need, and can be, done in
parallel do their own backgrounding.  You don't need to swat this gnat
with a 30-lb sledge hammer.

--
						Greg A. Woods