Subject: Re: rc.d boot log [was: Re: Cosmetic changes to rc.d scripts]
To: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2004 14:33:42
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:58:12 +0200
mouss <usebsd@free.fr> wrote:

> Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> >
> > Thus this daemon must starts from /etc/rc directly...
> >
> > Possible this can be some sort of in-kernel text buffer, which can store
> > console output like it dmesg does.
> >
> > At the other hand, after system has been started up once, there are no
> > real need in such buffer. All desired info can be logged via syslog and
> > dmesg.
> >
> > And another question - why not use shell variables for log storage as I
> > did? Any problems with it?
>
> What about:
> - Before /var is mounted, either save to buffer or ignore
> - as soon as /var is mounted, tee -a /var/log/rc.log
> ?

I've thinking about this way. But it takes more effort to handle this
(checking if /var/log was mounted or not, switching between two logging
scenaries, etc.) when there are no big advantages. Of course, using tee
it would be possible handle logs with arbitrary size, but what's more?

It's easy to implement but I haven't yet see preferences.

--
Mishka.