Subject: Re: rc.d boot log [was: Re: Cosmetic changes to rc.d scripts]
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2004 12:02:34
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:34:49 -0400
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:13:01AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 05:52:03PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> >  | I agree that this is a dirty hack. :-) It would not be easier and more
> >  | useful to start copying stdout/stderr to the log at the top of /etc/rc,
> >  | instead of adhockery scattered throughout the rc scripts?
> >
> >Where would you write to with `/' being read-only when /etc/rc starts ?
>
> sysctl?  *duck*
>
> maybe some sort of daemon that runs rc on a pty and buffers the output
> until it has someone^H^H^Hwhere to write to?

Thus this daemon must starts from /etc/rc directly...

Possible this can be some sort of in-kernel text buffer, which can store
console output like it dmesg does.

At the other hand, after system has been started up once, there are no
real need in such buffer. All desired info can be logged via syslog and
dmesg.

And another question - why not use shell variables for log storage as I
did? Any problems with it?

--
Mishka.