Subject: Re: parallelization of rc.d
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar_Catri=E1n?= C. <ccatrian@eml.cc>
From: Denis Lagno <dlagno@smtp.ru>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2004 01:39:27
> > >  | > What do you think about this?
> > >  | I'd be much more happy if rc.d/rcorder machinery
> > >  | supported issuing independent jobs in parallel.
> > >
> > > Do you have any cases where you think that this will make a
> > > significant difference to the boot time of a system?
> >
> >  	Not in the base, but pkgsrc/net/netatalk would be one. It can
> >  	take a minute or so for the appletalk daemons to get their
> >  	feathers sorted.
> > --
> >  		David/absolute       -- www.NetBSD.org: No hype required --
>
> net/speedtouch is a case too. It takes one minute to load the microcode.

interactive entering passwords for CGD devices.  Everything that does not require
filesystems on CGD devices can be done in background.

checking quotas also can be issued in parallel with something CPU-bound (veriexecctl?).

and finally it is just right thing to do.  However I do not quite understand
how to manage console output in order to not allow a mess..