Subject: Re: rc.d boot log [was: Re: Cosmetic changes to rc.d scripts]
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/13/2004 23:34:49
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:13:01AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 05:52:03PM -0500, David Young wrote:
>  | I agree that this is a dirty hack. :-) It would not be easier and more
>  | useful to start copying stdout/stderr to the log at the top of /etc/rc,
>  | instead of adhockery scattered throughout the rc scripts?
>Where would you write to with `/' being read-only when /etc/rc starts ?

sysctl?  *duck*

maybe some sort of daemon that runs rc on a pty and buffers the output
until it has someone^H^H^Hwhere to write to?

ps - i had to powercycle my laptop yesterday.  fsck was taking too
long so i hit control c.  it just merrily continued through the boot
process without dropping to single user mode.  i thought it was
supposed to notice that fsck got killed...