Subject: Re: Cosmetic changes to rc.d scripts
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2004 18:51:20
[Thus spake Luke Mewburn ("LM: ") Tomorrow...]

LM: I personally found that behaviour (on Debian-unstale) to be annoying,
LM: although it could make sense for rc.d scripts which control multiple
LM: services (e.g, "samba" starting nmbd and smbd).
LM:
LM: If we're going to 'pretty up' the output of the boot sequence, we
LM: might as well offer add the status message at the RHS of the line
LM: a la Redhat and HP-UX (?):
LM:
LM: Starting bazd (Joe Blow's big azz service)                         [ failed ]

Can I just toss a quick "umno" in here?

LM: IMHO, we need more consistency in our boot messages, not less.
LM: I find Debian & Redhat to be "messy" whilst watching them boot;
LM: the kernel is really messy, and the rc stuff isn't much better.

Heartily agreed.

				--*greywolf;
--
Theorem #1:  There are several ways to create a quantum black hole.
    - Butter a piece of bread and tie it, buttered side up, to a cat's back.