Subject: Re: Cosmetic changes to rc.d scripts
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2004 22:18:06
At 21:30 Uhr +0200 12.10.2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>For example, the inetd script includes 'comment="Internet superserver"',
>so that, instead of "Starting inetd.", you'll see "Starting Internet
>superserver (inetd)."  (yeah, the real name is kept at the end).

[...]

>The changes I've done make the comment variable optional, so that old
>scripts (those installed from pkgsrc, for example, don't break until they
>are convered).

[...]

>What do you think about this?

Erm - does that include an "OFF" switch?

I've always liked the terseness of the NetBSD bootlog over what I see on
Linuxes. With fast machines and a 24x80 text console, there is only so much
time to read. And I probably won't enjoy picking the only important (for
me) information 'inetd' from what comment string NetBSD likes to print this
month.

Sorry for sounding so negative,

	hauke

--