Subject: Re: Logging FS [Was: Re: forbidding rm -rf /]
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2004 15:43:10
[ On Wednesday, October 6, 2004 at 08:31:53 (+0000), Chris Pinnock wrote: ]
> Subject: Logging FS [Was: Re: forbidding rm -rf /]
>
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:06:44PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > I don't know about undo/redo, but NetBSD would already have a journaling
> > filesystem, if wasabisystems decided not to keep sitting on it for
> > profit.[*]
>
> In danger of wading out of my depth here (as usual :), but McKusick mentions
> some modifications to FFS (in one of his papers) that would give it logging
> capability. Does anyone know if these are available under the BSD license?

I don't know about that but I do know that both SGI's XFS and IBM's JFS
are freely available in source form and they could be ported to NetBSD....  :-)

(they are already available in some GNU/Linux evirons)

I suppose XFS isn't really a journaling/logging filesystem, but it's
really very cool none the less!

--
						Greg A. Woods