Subject: Re: forbidding rm -rf /
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/2004 21:06:44
On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:53:32PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:30:40PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Solaris 10 doesn't allow "rm -rf /" -- should we do the same?
> >
> > http://blog.sun.com/roller/page/jbeck/20041001#rm_rf_protection
>
> No, but I do think that a journaling filesystem with optional, multiple
> level 'undo/redo' would be a good goal for 3.0. :-)

I don't know about undo/redo, but NetBSD would already have a journaling
filesystem, if wasabisystems decided not to keep sitting on it for
profit.[*]

As things stand now, the only way NetBSD is going to get it is probably
going to be to reinvent the wheel.

*: Yes, I know, this is one thing the BSD license is good for, and I like
   the BSD license. I'd just like to have a more modern FS for NetBSD
   without having to shell out money for both "Wasabi Certified NetBSD" AND
   their filesystem.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII