Subject: Re: forbidding rm -rf /
To: David Young <>
From: Sean Davis <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/2004 21:06:44
On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:53:32PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:30:40PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Solaris 10 doesn't allow "rm -rf /" -- should we do the same?
> >

> No, but I do think that a journaling filesystem with optional, multiple
> level 'undo/redo' would be a good goal for 3.0. :-)

I don't know about undo/redo, but NetBSD would already have a journaling
filesystem, if wasabisystems decided not to keep sitting on it for

As things stand now, the only way NetBSD is going to get it is probably
going to be to reinvent the wheel.

*: Yes, I know, this is one thing the BSD license is good for, and I like
   the BSD license. I'd just like to have a more modern FS for NetBSD
   without having to shell out money for both "Wasabi Certified NetBSD" AND
   their filesystem.

/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!