Subject: Re: the state of regex(3)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/2004 21:17:14
> I have ALWAYS assumed that the first non-option(-associated) parameter
> terminated option processing.  I was really surprised to discover, five
> minutes ago, that Linux treats 'ls /etc/passwd -l' as 'ls -l /etc/passwd'.
> That HEAVILY violates the POLA.

yes - I found that one while writing some code to run under cygwin.

It can also be avoided by starting the option string with '+'.
(I'm not sure how that affects starting the string with ':', or the
ability to use '+' as an option character!)

FWIW 'rlogin host -l username' has always worked.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk