Subject: Re: the state of regex(3)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/2004 14:55:06
[ On Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 23:10:25 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: the state of regex(3)
>
> Indeed. I was heavily grossed out today when I learned what
> POSIXLY_CORRECT does for getopt(3) (=> "ls /etc/passwd -l" *yuck*).

You should play with a true, plain, Seventh Edition UNIX for a good long
while before you blame POSIX on anything, especially that.

It's all these young GNU whipper-snappers who have messed things up
royally.

(AT&T released the "real" getopt() into the public domain long before
there was ever any kind of free unix-like OS for a very good reason --
sadly it was, for the most part, ignored.)

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods@planix.com>     +1 416 489-5852 x122     http://www.planix.com/