Subject: Re: UTF-8 file names?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/13/2004 14:45:43
On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 04:25:51PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > How can I make NetBSD's base system programs use UTF-8 file
> > names by default?
>
> Use... how?
>
> In Unix, filenames can contain any chars except NUL and '/'.
> Maybe start by using a terminal that's UTF-8 capable (uxterm, ...)?

FWIW, I've been using UTF-8 filenames, and it generally works pretty
well... the main annoyance I see is that ls(1) replaces what it thinks
are control characters in the filename with "?" by default, but it
does its check as if the filename were encoded in ISO-8859-x, so any
characters in the 0x80-0xBF range get turned into "?", garbling the
filename. "ls -w" is a workaround for that.

I use tcsh as my shell, and it has some problems with editing
commandlines that have UTF-8 characters, but someone submitted a patch
that improves the situation; hopefully the next version will work
better.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 28 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++