Subject: Re: Makefile rules
To: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/09/2004 13:36:51
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:12:57 +0200
"Stuart Brooks" <stuartb@cat.co.za> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering what version of make Netbsd uses. In particular the one I
> have on my Netbsd 1.5.1 system only appears to support .SUFFIX rules, as
> opposed to gmake which allows pattern matching in its implicit rules.

NetBSD does not use GNU Make; it uses its own make utility.  Creating complex
Makefiles that work with the two is very difficult, if not impossible - in
case you use "extra" features, like the pattern matching, which I doubt is
supported by our make...  OTOH, NetBSD's make has a lot of cool features
that, if used, break compatibility with GNU Make.

You can:
- Specify all the dependencies by hand.
- Create a homegrown script that generates a portable Makefile, without any
  "complex" features (hey, Solaris' make does not even support '+=').
- Use GNU Automake or similar utilities.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/