Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/08/2004 15:09:29
SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp> writes:

> > In any case, let me ask a different question.  Right now there is
> > support for aliases in src/share/locale/ctype/Makefile, and that
> > support is used to make zh_TW.BIG5 an alias for zh_TW.Big5.  Should
> > that aliasing support be removed?  Which one of zh_TW.BIG5 and
> > zh_TW.Big5 should be retained?
>
> As I wrote in my first reply, I'm OK to have some aliases which are
> really major and widely used, for compatibility with other Operating
> systems, although I think having multiple names with one concept
> is a way backward.

We have two different mechanisms for locale aliases.  One is ALIASES_*
in share/locale/ctype/Makefile.  The other is
share/locale/locale.alias.

Would you say that any aliases should be in locale.alias and use the
entire locale string?  You don't think we should do aliasing on just
the codeset name?

For that matter, is there any reason to support ALIASES_* in
locale/ctype/Makefile?  Would anybody object to a patch which just
added

zh_TW.BIG5/LC_CTYPE		zh_TW.Big5

to locale.alias, and removed the support for ALIASES in
locale/ctype/Makefile?  (That is the only alias which appears in the
Makefile).

Ian