Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/07/2004 05:38:58
	Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com> said:

> In any case, let me ask a different question.  Right now there is
> support for aliases in src/share/locale/ctype/Makefile, and that
> support is used to make zh_TW.BIG5 an alias for zh_TW.Big5.  Should
> that aliasing support be removed?  Which one of zh_TW.BIG5 and
> zh_TW.Big5 should be retained?

As I wrote in my first reply, I'm OK to have some aliases which are
really major and widely used, for compatibility with other Operating
systems, although I think having multiple names with one concept
is a way backward.

But supporting every variants in Linux locale names sounds too much
for me. Why do we have to add complexity to support the feature which
must not be used?
--
soda