Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/05/2004 15:25:18
SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp> writes:

> Our codeset names conform existing UNIX conventions as far as
> possible, so our current names are just exactly compatible with most
> commercial UNIX variants.

But note that we've already seen in this thread a discrepancy between
Linux and NetBSD: NetBSD uses "ru_RU.KOI8-R" where Linux uses
"ru_RU.koi8r".

For what it's worth, I'll note that NetBSD may not be consistent with
itself at present.  In /usr/share/locale I see "bg_BG.CP1251" and in
/usr/X11R6/share/locale I see "bg_BG.cp1251".

Given the existence of /usr/share/i18n/esdb/esdb.alias, why is it a
bad thing to use it?

Ian