Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/04/2004 13:39:07
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, SODA Noriyuki wrote:

> I beleive the idea to use MIME charset names as UNIX codeset name is
> a mistake.

Indeed?

> Of course we need a way to map between those names, but there is
> no real requrement to use MIME charset names as UNIX codeset name.
> Allowing case insensitive names like MIME charset name just adds
> needless complexity without any benefit.

I don't think that this is needless complexity. Keep in mind that the
charset name is user input; making it easier for the user to supply this
value to the system is a definite benefit, IMHO.

> In the ideal world, everyone would use just one codeset name for
> one codeset, and although it's too late for such world, we should
> not introduce another variants of codeset names.

The names are out there, and they are official, and used widely. I
don't see why we should not just use the existing standard, rather than
creating our own.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA