Subject: Re: moving etc/release from etc to base set
To: The Grey Wolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/04/2004 02:15:50
The Grey Wolf wrote:
  > Absolutely:
>
> 1.  Process of elimination:
>
> 	It is potentially necessary in single-user mode, and so does
> 	  not belong under /usr (please no diatribes about how / and
> 	  /usr and /var and your mother's creamed chipped beef on toast
> 	  should all be in one grand unified filesystem, because I
> 	  disagree and you will not change my mind about this).

this I disagree with. not only the file isn't necessay in single-user,
it's just not necessary at all. the proof is simple: we did without it
up so far.
as per the fs, I won't go saying that the best thing with be no fs at
all. filesystems should be a hidden thing. I don't see why a user should
go to think about how many megs/gigs/blocks/... when all that is a
matter of tuning that should be reserved for a minority (if at all).
moreover, I would like to see a system that internally manages
filesystems so they grow and shrink as appropriate. system designers are
better at optimising such stuff than mortal users (I am assuming that
system designers aren't mortal:).

> 	It is not a binary, nor a library, and so does not belong in
> 	  any of /lib, /libexec, /bin, /sbin.
> 	It is not a device, thus does it not belong in /dev.
> 	It is static, thus would it stay out of /tmp.
> 	The root directory should not inherit any more files or
> 	  directories than absolutely necessary, so it should not be
> 	  at the top level of /.
>
> 	The only logical place for it to exist, then, is /etc.

agreed. there doesn't seem to be another logical place, unless we have a
tree revolution, in which case, I'd see new dirs and so on. but before
that, I'd like to se an fs independent tree. unfortunately, this
requires a lot of work (if feasible).

cheers,
mouss