Subject: proposed: /usr/src/usr.bin/tcfs/*, needs gdbm, some SUID programs
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@carolina.rr.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/19/2004 22:13:12
So I'm working on getting TCFS ready for prime-time.
I've done extensive work on the kernel-level stuff and that's available now.
I'm getting the userlevel ready and it's going to require a lot of work.

I haven't thought out all the issues, but I figure I'd throw them out:

1) Most of the programs are for users to run.  I plan on putting them in
/usr/src/usr.bin/tcfs/tcfsprogram.  Is this okay?  Wasn't sure on "usr.bin"
versus "usr.sbin".  What's the guideline?

2) There's a fair number of SUID programs, and I haven't audited them for
buffer overflows yet.  What to do about this?  I mean, obviously, they can't
go into the source tree without being scrutinized, but... perhaps as non-SUID
until such a time?  SUID Non-root pseudo-user?  What's the guideline?

3) There's a fair number of programs:

USER_BINSS=tcfsputkey tcfsrun tcfsrmkey tcfsgenkey tcfstat  # SUID
USER_BINS=tcfsflag
ROOT_BINS=tcfsadduser tcfsrmuser tcfsaddgroup tcfsrmgroup

When Neils Provos was adding them to OpenBSD, he merged all the ROOT_BINS
into one program, tcfsmng.  Does anyone care about how many there are?

4) They use gdbm for some kind of database, I think for storing longer keys
that are themselves encrypted by your login password.  I don't think gdbm
is in /usr/src - what do I do about this?

5) Currently they use a supplementary file /etc/tcfstab.  I want them to
use the normal /etc/fstab.  Should I change this before merging them into
the source tree?  I need to look into how this will work more.